Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Recent Findings and Realizations

Every piece I make, I learn something new.

Whether it's something to do or not to do. 

Each project is a learning experience that proves to be invaluable. With my last few projects, I have came to a realization about my blades. It's not a flaw, it's not a devaluing characteristic, but it is definitely something that needs to be adjusted. 
Recently I completed a commission for a friend of mine from college. He wanted just a plain knife from me, something to keep around the house. I started conceptualizing this project, and came up with just a plain mill file knife with red oak scales. I thought "this should be perfect for what he wants". 

The best part is, it was exactly what he was wanting. 

I forged the blade, ground it, filed it, hardened, tempered, and started to a rough clean up. The knife had a really great feeling in the hand and a nice shape for all around tasks. I got 'er all put together, the handle sealed up, and set to sharpen.

For the holidays, I was blessed enough to receive a set of Arkansas sharpening stones from a place called "Hall Sharpening Stones". Ironic, right? 

I slapped my oil on the stones and started swiping away, intent on getting this puppy razor sharp. I came to the realization after about 20 minutes that I was really having trouble getting it razor sharp. I just couldn't figure out why it wouldn't get sharp. The other knives that I had laid on the stones had taken a wicked edge fairly quickly. I started to examine the knife, only to realize my problem was with my bevel. It wasn't a flat grind, it wasn't a convex grind, it was a curved grind. 

I've spoken with many knife smiths before, and they all say the same thing for the most part: "You can get any type of grind sharp... some are just more difficult than others."

I ended up getting the knife shaving sharp, it just took longer.

I do believe this won't be a problem any more, as I have recently purchased a 2x72 belt grinder. It's old, but it's a beast. With this, I'll be able to do flat and convex grinds and get a super sharp edge on a knife much quicker. 

On the topic of a belt grinder, I don't know how I lived without one as an amateur bladesmith. It makes all the difference in the world in terms of efficiency and effectiveness. I have gone from being able to profile and rough grind a knife in around an hour to doing the same thing in around 30 minutes. Here are some of the fruits from last weekend's labor.


There's also been some other things happening at Hall Ironworks. While I've been immersed in my blade work, Wayne has been hard at it on some of his projects. He recently completed a pretty impressive boot rack for some family friends. He built it from square stock, some cut out letters, and beautiful maple boards.



A bit more recent than that, Wayne also finished a fireplace panel for some more family friends. It really was a beautiful piece. He cut, riveted, and fit all of the sheet steel. He then forged out two letters, both were a "G". Then, using some smaller mild stock, he forged and textured out some branches of trees to crawl across the front landscape of the panels. I say he knocked it out of the park!




No comments:

Post a Comment